Creating Your Facebook Application
Please follow the steps below:
- In SocialOomph, select Networks, Facebook App Credentials in the menu.
- Open a new browser tab and log in to your personal Facebook profile at facebook.com.
- Then, in the browser address bar, type in developers.facebook.com and press Enter.
- Register as a developer if it gives you that option, meaning if you have not yet registered as a developer.
- In the top menu, click the My Apps entry.
- Click Add a New App button.
- Do not change any other setting and do not put content into any other fields on any of the tabs if we did not tell you to do so below.
- Fill out the Display Name and Contact Email fields. Display Name can be anything and will appear in the "via" part of every post you publish.
- Click the Create App ID button.
- Click Settings, Basic in the sidebar.
- Click the Add Platform bar and click Website.
- Enter https://www.socialoomph.com in the Site URL field.
- Click the blue Save Changes button.
- Click Settings, Advanced in the sidebar.
- Set the Require App Secret Yes/No toggle to Yes and click the blue Save Changes button.
- Click the Products + in the sidebar.
- Click the Setup button of the Facebook Login entry.
- Click the Web entry.
- Enter https://www.socialoomph.com in the Site URL field and click the Save and Continue buttons.
- Click the Settings entry of Facebook Login in the sidebar.
- Enter https://www.socialoomph.com/fbk/authcallback/ in the Valid OAuth Redirect URIs field. (When you are done with step 24, please double-check that the URL is still present. Facebook sometimes loses the URL from that field. In steps 28 & 29, if you get an error message that starts with "Given URL is not allowed by the Application configuration...", return to this step 17 and ensure that the URL in the box is correct.)
- Click the blue Save Changes button.
- Click App Review in the sidebar.
- Click Roles in the sidebar. The Facebook account in the Admin section is the only one that you will be able to add to SocialOomph and schedule updates for its feed and the feed of its pages and groups. If you also want to add other personal Facebook profiles, then add those profiles in the Developer section. Then, for each of the additional profiles, log in to that Facebook profile, navigate to developers.facebook.com, and approve the request to be added as a Developer of your application. Then you will also be able to add (steps 33 & 34) and publish to those personal profiles and their pages and groups.
- Click Settings in the sidebar.
- Copy the App ID (a string of numbers) and paste it into the App ID field of SocialOomph's Facebook Application Credentials form.
- Click the Show button of the App Secret field (a few dots) and enter your password if requested.
- Copy the now visible App Secret (a string of alphanumeric characters) and paste it into the App Secret field of SocialOomph's Facebook Application Credentials form.
- Click the Save button.
- Back at your account in SocialOomph.com, now add your Facebook personal profile by clicking Networks, Connect Social Account in the menu, and then click the Facebook tab. After you've added your Facebook profile you will be able to also add any Facebook pages and groups that are managed by that personal profile. Important: During the authorization process in one of the pop-up screens Facebook is going to ask you what the default privacy level of posts should be (the default is Friends). You must change that default if you want a wider audience for your posts. Also Important: If Facebook warns you about a review that's required, do not click the Cancel button. Click the blue OK button.
- Back at your account in SocialOomph.com, if you have existing Facebook accounts in your list of social accounts:
a) Click Networks, Manage Connected Accounts in the menu.
b) Reauthorize all Facebook personal profile accounts that have a red error message directly below them. (DO NOT first delete your Facebook account entries. Simply click their Edit buttons and follow the prompts.) It is not necessasry to reauthorize Facebook pages and groups because they are automatically reauthorized when you reauthorize the managing Facebook personal profile.
Revisit your Facebook app on developers.facebook.com,
Please let us know if these instructions are out of date so that we can update them.
If you receive the following error message when you try to publish to Facebook: "Given URL is not allowed by the Application configuration.: One or more of the given URLs is not allowed by the App's settings. It must match the Website URL or Canvas URL, or the domain must be a subdomain of one of the App's domains," redo step #17. Facebook sometimes loses the URL that you entered in step #17.
Special considerations if you changed your Facebook application from an existing one to a new one
If you've previously created and used a Facebook application and you create and use a new Facebook application, please note that you are going to have duplicate Facebook social account entries in your list of social accounts in SocialOomph (Networks, Manage Connected Account in the menu) when you authorize the new application to access your Facebook account. All your scheduled and published updates will be connected to the "old" entry in the social accounts list. Use Posting, Bulk Move/Copy Updates in the menu to move the updates to the "new" entry. You will also need to change any RSS feed accounts and queue reservoirs to use the "new" entry. Due to a change that Facebook made on May 1, 2014, it is impossible for us to know that two Facebook accounts are the same account if you switch from one Facebook application to a new application.
After you've moved the updates, you can safely delete the "old" entry from your list of social accounts. Do not delete the old Facebook application at developers.facebook.com because, if you do, Facebook will also delete all the updates that were posted using that application.